11.13.2012

{See Alice Go} Review

I have combination skin where I'm really shiny (That and dry/flaky.) by mid-day. It's gotten noticeably worse in the last few weeks so I decided to look into a powder compact for touch-ups during the day. I wanted the compact to be travel-friendly, durable, good at absorbing oil, and as toxic-free as possible. After looking into reviews of powders from Guerlain, Givenchy, YSL, Dior, Physician's Formula, etc, I stop by my local Sephora and picked up Laura Mercier's Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder (I already have a pressed powder that I very much love, Tarte's Smooth Operator, but it only gets me through 8 hours or so of wear).

Without further ado, here are a few pictures:
$32 USD from Sephora.com

Hopefully you can see that the powder itself is a slightly green tint. This helps balance out any redness you might have (Which I do). Here are pictures of the product on my fingers, swatched on the back of my hand, and finally, blended in:


Verdict?
I found that this product does reduce shine. However, as mentioned in a few reviews, it is kind of chalky. I made sure to blend the product out well, otherwise, the chalky white/green powder would be noticeable (Well, to me at least). Unfortunately, the flat sponge doesn't that comes with the compact doesn't do a very good job. If I had to carry a brush with me, it would defeat the purpose of the compact... but do the brushes/sponges/puffs what come with the product ever work that well? I thought the packaging looked ok on the outside, but a little meh when you open it up. I don't know if you can see in this picture, but the plastic hinge is just unsightly and looks a bit cheap:
Overall, I think this is a decent product and it does the job it's supposed to do. I just wish Laura Mercier would give us a better applicator. Lastly, I thought the product could do with a little extra milling. That's not to say it's crudely milled, it's just not quite as nice and smooth as soon other powders I tested (Guerlain, YSL, I'm looking at you!). I wouldn't repurchase this product because it did not impress (Which actually works out ok because I love testing new products!).

Do you use a powder compact during the day?  I'd love to know what you're using! (Yeah, I think I'm still in the market...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read every single comment. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!